Friday, February 22, 2013

Inking With A Twist

Thanks for joining me today for this weeks Papertrey Ink Design Team Tip!
 
I'm sure you stampers are familiar with many of the different inking techniques out there, even ones commonly know as... Stamping Off or Rock and Roll. While exploring with the new Cutting Garden set, during the last countdown week, I happened to come across a sort of new technique (at least to me) that combines these two techniques into one unique look. It sort of adds a new dimension to any image you stamp.
After exploring this inspiration piece, I just fell in love with the look of those fresh cut flowers.  I couldn't help but notice how the flower centers had a deep concentration of color and shadows and then lightened up as the flower opened, making the outer edges much softer.  I wanted to achieve the look with some ink and stamps.   
Here's How:  First off, let us focus on the two squares on the left side.  These two utilized the typical Stamping Off technique.  Just as the name implies, you ink your stamp and stamp any number of times before re-inking. The image becomes lighter with each stamp.  The top right square is the first stamping and the square below is the second stamping. 
 
To achieve today's, look I used this same concept and incorporated a second technique as well... Rock and Roll.  Typically this step is done using two ink pads.  Inking up in one color and then rolling the edges into the second color.
 
Now, let us focus on the top right square.  I began by inking the stamp.  Then, using the Rock and Roll technique, I rolled the edges onto a scrap piece of cardstock; thus Stamping Off the edges.
The centers of the flowers are now deeper in color and the edges are softer and lighter.  Achieved in one fell swoop (or shall I say roll).
Next, I pulled out my new Watercolor Wonder to achieve a more realistic brush stroke look using the same technique.
Take a closer look.  A gradient shading vs the solid strokes on the first card here.
I kept things simple by letting the watercolor take center stage.  Finished the card off with a Mini Blooms sentiment.

That's it from me today.  I hope you'll give this look a go.  Have fun!

Thanks for stopping by.

Maile


Oh Happy Day! Card


Hello There Card

39 comments:

  1. Great technique and it looks fairly easy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely will try this!!! Maile....thanks for inspiring me today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this excellent tip, Maile. I love the effect on the brushstroke-looks so real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I have to try this. Thanks for sharing this technique Maile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great technique - truly creates a realistic look, especially with the watercolor set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous and so simple! Thanks so much for sharing Maile! I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous technique! Thanks so much for sharing, Maile :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is brilliant! I love the look it creates! It looks absolutely fabulous on the flowers and on the brushstrokes. Thanks for sharing your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cards look amazing, Maile! I'm off to pick up my Cutting Garden stamps this morning and I can't wait to try this technique with them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Can't wait to try it out! Thanks for inspiring us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Great tip for an easy way to get a lot of interest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant idea. Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Maile! it's really nice to see the different effects with the same stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Maile for a wonderful, simple looking idea. I got my PTI package last night and sad I couldn't get Dawn's new set until next month, I did get your Watercolor set and it's going to be the first to see ink today. I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this fresh idea! What a great way to get more looks from stamps as well as having some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the look of your flowers! My package is being delivered today and can't wait to give this technique a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So simple and effective. Funny how we learn new things all the time, sometimes thinking, "Why didn't I think of that?" Thanks for the great explanation, Maile.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful and brilliant! Love your soft looking flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your clear explanation of a great new technique with beautiful results.

    ReplyDelete
  20. SO CLEVER of you ..LOVE IT! Will def try it..thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow can hardly wait to try this with other stamp, Thanks Mail

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a great technique to try. Definitely gonna do it. Thanks for sharing. Absolutely love both of your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is great can't wait to try it out. Love your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great technique!!! Your cards are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea--never thought of it! Thanks for the inspiration, Maile! My watercolor stamps are on the way--yah!

    ReplyDelete
  26. so neat! love the effect. thanks so much for sharing and for the inspiration, Maile!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can't wait to give this a try...these are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for sharing this technique! Such a pretty turnout. With the flower image, it lends beautifully to a soft, romantic haze look. But it really brings those watercolor images to life!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful, Maile and perfect for this stunning image :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great idea. Love the thought. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I dоn't leave many comments, however i did some searching and wound up here "Inking With A Twist". And I do have a few questions for you if you do not mind. Could it be only me or does it appear like some of the remarks look like they are left by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing on other social sites, I would like to follow anything new you have to post. Would you list of the complete urls of all your public sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

    my webpage: website submitter

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is awesome! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are really beautiful Maile! I love them both! I really love the gems on the first one! and how CAS the 2nd one is!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS